Ten Reasons to Call a Lawyer if You’ve Been in a Car Wreck

I’ve been in a car wreck, now what?
If you’ve been in a car accident, you may have a lot of questions about what to do. It’s a confusing time and you may feel like you need advice. Here are some common questions that people have after an accident.
1. What can an attorney do for me?
Only you can decide if you need an attorney. At Martin Walker, P.C., we promise top quality representation to our clients in making sure that they receive the right value for their claim. We will handle the negotiations of your claim so that you don’t have to. Our extensive experience in negotiation allows us to work with the insurance company effectively for you. And if the offer isn’t fair, we go to trial.
In the State of Texas, only one party needs to give permission in order for a phone call to be recorded. Because the insurance company representative can give himself that permission without telling you he is doing so, he can and most likely will record all of your conversations with him. For this reason, you should spend as little time talking directly with the insurance company representative as possible. We will handle all communications with the insurance company for you, and if a recorded statement is necessary, we will be present with you to make sure that the insurance company representative treats you fairly.
Many people can’t afford a doctor and don’t have medical insurance. Consequently, they don’t get treatment that they desperately need. We have a relationship of trust with good doctors throughout our East Texas community who will assist people in these circumstances.
We also make sure that liability facts are documented early on through photographic evidence, police reports and witness statements.
2. When should I hire an attorney?
If you plan to hire an attorney, the sooner you hire one, the better. As you get further away from the date of the accident, information becomes stale and memories fade. It is very important to make sure that the facts of your accident are documented early on and effectively.
3. Should I get medical treatment?
You should only get medical treatment if you are injured. If you need emergency medical attention, go to the emergency room and follow the recommendations of the emergency room physicians. If you do not need emergency medical attention, go to your primary care physician and follow his recommendations.
4. The insurance company wants to take a recorded statement. Should I give one?
A recorded statement is generally not necessary. The insurance company representative does not have your best interest in mind, and may not treat you fairly. We do not recommend giving a recorded statement without the presence of an attorney who will make sure that you are treated fairly.
5. What if I need medical treatment, but can’t afford it?
If you are injured, don’t have medical insurance, and can’t afford to get treatment, we can help you to get medical treatment. We have a relationship of trust with many good doctors in East Texas who understand your situation and will help you to receive the treatment you need. Don’t delay on this point just because you can’t afford treatment. If you are injured, you must get treatment right away. It’s a matter of your health.
6. Will I lose my rights if I wait too long?
Yes. For car accidents occurring in the State of Texas, your suit must be brought within two years of the date of the accident, or you will be forever barred from recovery.
7. What do I need to do immediately after the accident?
Make sure the police have been called to document the scene of the accident and assign fault. If you need emergency medical treatment, get it. Call a family member or friend and ask them to help you. Many times, a person who has been in an accident will be in shock after the accident. Having a family member or friend with you will help you to make sure your bases are covered. Take photographs, or have a friend take photographs.
8. Do I need to call the police out to have an accident report done?
Yes. Many times, the person who hit you will try to talk you into exchanging information only and not “waiting around” for a police officer. The police officer documents what happened in the accident and who was at fault in causing this. It is the first and most important step in establishing that the other party was in fact at fault in causing the accident. Without that, it’s your word versus theirs.
9. What if the person who hit me left the scene?
It’s a crime in the State of Texas to leave the scene of an accident. If the person who hit you left the scene, try to immediately note as much as you can remember about them. For example, get the license plate number, make, model and color of the vehicle. If you saw the person, write down their description while it is fresh in your memory. Then, immediately report this to the police and seek their assistance in tracking this person down.
10. The initial consultation is free.
The team at Martin and Walker can help with your auto accident if you received property damage, injuries, medical attention, and need help with medical bills. If you have a question about your legal situation and need legal evaluation, call us today at 903-526-1600. Your initial consultation is free.